One of the most common injuries that we see arise from motor vehicle accidents.  Injuries may arise from a red-light runner, a side impact from a truck, a rear-ended impact, or in avoidance trying to hit an unaware pedestrian. The injured party has the right to file a claim for their injuries, whether they are a driver, passenger, on foot or a back seat passenger.

Injuries from auto accidents may be minor, but they also may incur long term damages to a party. For starters, upon impact with either the other car, motorcycle, truck, or pedestrian, the impact could potentially create property damage. In a car accident, property damages usually refer to the vehicle (or vehicles) involved in the impact. However, should the accident send another car off the road and into a new trajectory, other property damage may occur.

Upon impact, a car may ricochet away from the road onto private property. The car may damage flowers, lawns and trees, holiday ornaments or boundaries, such as picket fences surrounding the property. The vehicle may also continue until a stronger impact occurs, such as colliding with a house or garage. In these cases, police should be called immediately. Once officers arrive, they will evaluate the scene and call 911, if not done so already. The police will also take notes and pictures, and interview witnesses. 

With this information the officers will create their own evidentiary report. This report, along with any other evidence gather ed at the scene, will be maintained at their office. People involved in the accident will be given the opportunity to receive the report as well, both for insurance and court purposes. Make sure to have the officer inspect all the damage that has occurred to your vehicle, and have the areas noted in their report. The report from the police should also be sent to a mechanic, who will review that damages listed and compare to the actual vehicle.  The mechanic will lift the car and inspect the vehicle from top to bottom, noting all damages. The car will have to be restored to a proper condition and able to pass safety inspections again prior to being driven again. If the car is beyond repair, or, if the value to repair the car exceeds the actual value of the car, the mechanic may claim that the vehicle is totaled. 

If the vehicle is totaled in the accident, meaning damaged beyond repair, you will not have your car returned to you. Depending upon the blue book value of the car (based on mileage, interior condition, and other factors) you may receive a check from the responsible insurance company in the amount of the vehicle prior to being totaled. The money in the form of a check may be used as you wish, although generally the amount is used towards a new vehicle to replace the one you no longer have.